- Cooking time
- 20 mins
- Preparation time
- 10 mins
Risotto recipes have a reputation for being difficult, but this chicken risotto recipe with lemon couldn't be easier. Simply throw the ingredients in a pan, simmer and stir. A garnish of parmesan and rocket finishes it off nicely. See? Simple.
- 900ml (30fl oz) chicken stock
- 2 skinless chicken breasts
- 2tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 220g (7oz) risotto rice
- Rind of 1 lemon, grated
- 75g (2½oz) parmesan, freshly grated
- 50g (1¾oz) rocket, shredded
- Extra virgin olive oil, to drizzle
- Bring the stock to the boil in a large saucepan. Add the chicken and simmer for 7-8 mins. Remove the chicken breasts to a plate and cut into bite-size pieces. Keep the stock on the heat.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a big saucepan. Add the onion and cook on a moderate heat for 5 mins. Stir in the rice and lemon rind, then add the stock and bring back to the boil.
- Reduce the heat, cover the risotto and simmer for 15 mins, stirring occasionally. Add the chicken pieces and cook for a further 5-10 mins, adding a little extra stock or water if it starts to dry out. Taste the rice - it should be soft but still retain a little bite.
- When it's cooked, remove the risotto from the heat and stir in the parmesan and rocket. Season to taste and serve with a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil.
You can use ready-cooked chicken, or pieces left over from a roast.