A recipe from SymmetryBreakfast Cook Love Share by Michael Zee (Bantam Press, £14.99)
- 250g quark
- 3 eggs
- 100g flour, 70g for dusting
- ½ tsp salt
- 40g caster sugar
- 150g raisins
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp white or cider vinegar
- 50g butter
- 50ml sunflower oil
- Sour cream
- Jam of your choice
- Soft fruit
- Icing sugar
I've had a lifelong relationship with quark, the fat-free soft cheese. When I was young, I would go along with my mum to Slimming World and watch as people got weighed and everyone clapped them for how well they had done. Quark, then and now, is well known amongst dieters around the world.
These delicious little pancakes from Eastern Europe and Russia are most certainly not for those on a diet. Creamy quark cheese, raisins, sour cream and jam... All that's missing is Kate Bush singing 'Babooshka' in the background.
- Put the quark in a bowl and break it up with a spoon. Add the eggs one at a time and combine well. Add the flour, salt, sugar and raisins, and stir. You should have a fairly wet batter. In a small cup, quickly stir together the bicarbonate of soda and vinegar, then add it to the batter.
- Heat a frying pan over a medium-high heat with the butter and oil.
- Spread a dusting of flour on a smallish plate or bowl. Dollop a dessertspoon of the batter into the flour. Sprinkle flour on top and, with some flour on your fingers, pick it up and shape it into a rough, flattened pancake.
- Gently place the pancake in the pan and repeat with the next. I cook no more than four at a time, but do so moving clockwise around the pan, adding, flipping and removing the cooked pancakes once they are ready. Lower the heat if necessary and cook them for 4 minutes on either side.
- Serve with sour cream, jam or fruit, a dusting of icing sugar, and hot black tea.
SymmetryBreakfast Cook Love Share by
Michael Zee (Bantam Press, £14.99) is out now, available at all good high street and online bookshops.[/i]
If you've never heard of, or can't find, quark, it's actually really easy to make and you can find a recipe in SymmetryBreakfast Cook Love Share.