- Cooking time
- 25 mins
- Preparation time
- 10 mins
- 75g (2½oz) caster sugar
- 2tsp grated lemon zest
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 150ml (5oz) whole milk, at room temperature
- 100g (3½oz) plain flour
- ½tsp pure vanilla extract
- Pinch cinnamon
- Pinch grated nutmeg
- Pinch salt
- 60g (2oz) unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- Lemon wedges, to serve
- Place a heavy ovenproof frying pan on a middle shelf of the oven and heat it to 220°C (gas mark 7). Combine the sugar and the zest in a small bowl.
- Beat the eggs with an electric mixer at a high speed until pale and frothy then beat in the milk, flour, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Continue to beat until smooth, about 1 minute more (the batter will be thin).
- Remove the pan form the oven and add the butter and melt, swirling to coat. Pour in the batter and immediately return the pan to the oven. Bake until puffed and golden brown, about 18-25 minutes. Serve immediately, topped with lemon sugar.
The batter can be made an hour ahead of cooking. Be careful when handling the oven-hot frying pan and cover the handle with a cloth.
Try more of our brilliant pancake recipe ideas for pancakes every which way!