Make sure that the nectarines are soft and juicy.
For the pastry:
- 250g plain flour, extra for dusting
- 40g icing sugar
- 130g cold unsalted butter, roughly diced
- 2 large egg yolks
For the filling:
- 125g unsalted butter, softened
- 125g icing sugar, sifted, extra for dusting
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 125g ground almonds
- 1 tablespoon plain flour
- 3 tablespoons amaretto liqueur
- 3 ripe nectarines
- 3 tablespoons blackcurrant jam
- For the pastry, place the flour, icing sugar and butter in a food processor and process until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add the egg yolks and 1 tablespoon cold water and process until the pastry is just coming together. Turn it out on to a large piece of cling film, flatten it slightly, then wrap it up and chill for 30 minutes.
- Heat the oven to 190ºC/170ºC fan oven/mark 5. On a floured board, roll out the pastry to a circle large enough to line the base and sides of a 23cm, loose-bottomed tart tin. Prick the base of the pastry with the prongs of a fork and chill for 15 minutes. Line the pastry with non-stick baking parchment and fill with baking beans or dried pulses. Bake for 15 minutes, then remove the paper and beans, lower the oven temperature to 180ºC/160ºC fan oven/mark 4 and continue to cook for 5-8 minutes, until the base feels firm to the touch. Remove (leaving the oven on) and cool while you make the almond filling.
- For the filling, place the softened butter and icing sugar in a bowl and beat until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in the eggs, then fold in the ground almonds, plain flour and amaretto. Chill for 10 minutes.
- Halve the nectarines and remove the stones. Slice each half into 8 evenly sized slices. Spread the base of the pastry with the blackcurrant jam and spread the almond mixture evenly over it. Arrange the nectarine slices over the filling and bake for 30-35 minutes, until the centre feels firm to the touch. Remove and leave to cool. Dust with icing sugar just before serving.
To drink: A sweet Muscat or Riesling to go with the nectarines and the sweet almond filling: Brown Brothers Orange Muscat & Flora 2010, £6.09-£7.99 for 375ml, Waitrose and Majestic. Wine recommendations by Joanna Simon.
Photographs: Tara Fisher | Food preparation and styling: Aya Nishimura | Table styling: Alexander Breeze