- Makes 2-3
- Preparation time
- 10 mins, standing time
- 350g (11oz) strong white bread flour
- 7g/ 2tsp (¼oz) fast-acting yeast
- 1tsp sugar
- 2tbsp olive oil
- Place the flour, yeast, sugar and ½tsp salt in a large mixing bowl. Make a well in the centre, add 210ml (7fl oz) of just warm water and the oil, and mix to form a firm dough. Knead on a lightly floured surface for 5-7mins, or until elastic. Alternatively, put all the ingredients in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat, using a dough hook, on a medium speed for 7 mins, then knead on a lightly floured surface for 1-2 mins.
- Place the dough in a lightly oiled bowl, cover with cling film and stand in a warm place for 1-1½ hours, or until the dough has doubled in size.
- Heat the oven to 220˚C (gas mark 9) and oil two or three metal pizza trays. Punch down the dough with your fist to release any air, divide into two or three portions and roll out or stretch to 4mm (¼in) thick, before transferring to the trays and adding your toppings.
You can make the dough up to 12 hours before you want to bake it and let it rise slowly in the fridge.
Make sure the oven has reached the right temperature - the dough needs a blast of heat to set the crust.