- Cooking time
- 20 mins
- Preparation time
- 10 mins
- 1kg (2lb) butternut squash, peeled and cut into 2cm (¾in) cubes
- 2 x 10g (¼ oz) sachets instant dashi stock powder
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 2tbsp mirin (rice wine)
- 100g (3½ oz) silken firm tofu, cut into 2cm (¾in) cubes
- 200g (6½ oz) mixed mushrooms, such as chesnut, shimeji and shiitake, sliced if large
- 75g (2½ oz) baby spinach leaves
- Sesame oil, to serve
- Toasted sesame seeds, to serve
- Bring 1½l (48 fl oz) lightly salted water to the boil and cook the butternut squash for 8-10 mins, or until just tender. Stir in the dashi powder, soy sauce and mirin.
- Add the tofu and simmer for 5 mins. Add the mushrooms and the spinach, and cook until wilted. Remove from the heat.
- Serve in bowls with a dash of sesame oil and a sprinkling of toasted sesame seeds.