- Cooking time
- 30 mins
- Preparation time
- 25 mins cooling time
- 1tbsp olive oil
- 3 rashers streaky bacon, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 125g (4oz) mushrooms, chopped
- 2 parsnips, scrubbed and diced
- 20g (¾oz) butter
- 4 duck breasts, skin removed, diced
- 2tbsp plain flour
- 350ml (11fl oz) chicken stock
- Peel of 1 orange
- 1tsp thyme leaves
- 380g (12oz) pack ready-rolled puff pastry
- Heat the oven to 180°C (gas mark 4). Heat the oil in a large frying pan, add the bacon and onion and sauté for 5 minutes. Add the mushrooms and parsnips and cook, stirring for 5 minutes. Transfer to a bowl.
- Add the butter to a clean frying pan, followed by the duck and flour. Stir well to incorporate the flour and butter, then add the stock, orange peel and herbs. Simmer over a medium heat for 15 minutes. Set aside to cool. Skim off any fat.
- Transfer the mixture to four ramekins. Cut circles or squares of pastry large enough to cover the ramekin by about 1cm (½in) and press into place. Transfer to a large baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes, or until golden and risen.
It is important to let the pie filling cool before covering with pastry.