- Serves 8
- Cooking time
- 50 mins
- Preparation time
- 20 mins
For the pastry
- 350g plain flour, extra for dusting 175g cold butter, diced, extra for greasing
For the filling
- 2 leeks (white and light green parts), chopped into 2.5cm pieces
- 300g Stilton, rind removed, sliced
- 200ml crème fraîche
- 6 eggs
- 100ml whole milk
- To make the pastry, put the flour and a pinch of salt into a bowl and rub in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs. Add the egg. Using a knife, stir in just enough cold water (2-3 tbsp) to bind the dough together. Tip onto a lightly floured work surface and shape into a ball. Cover with cling film and chill for at least 30 minutes, or ideally 1-3 hours.
- Heat the oven to 180°C/fan oven 160°C/mark 4. Grease a 30cm loose-bottomed tart tin. Roll out the pastry until it is large enough to line the tin.
- Put the leeks into a pan with a little salt. Cook over a low heat, covered, for about 10 minutes. Arrange the Stilton in the pastry case, then cover with the leeks.
- Put the crème fraîche, eggs and milk into a bowl and beat together. Pour this mixture over the leeks, place the pan on a baking sheet and bake on a low oven rack for 35-40 minutes until just set.
- Take the tart out of the oven and slip off the outer ring of the tin, leaving the tart sitting on the base. Return to the oven on the baking sheet for another 5-10 minutes so that the sides get really crisp.