- 1kg beef mince
- 1 white onion, peeled and diced
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1⁄2 tsp garlic salt
- 1⁄2 tsp paprika
- 70g double-concentrate tomato purée
- 4 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 2 1⁄2 tbsp Mrs Ball's chutney
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 chicken stock cube
- 2 x 400g cans of chopped tomatoes
- 1⁄4 tsp dried oregano
- 600g spaghetti
- A pinch of salt and black pepper
1. Fry the meat in a large saucepan over a medium heat for about 10 minutes, or until browned, stirring from time to time to break the meat up.
2. The meat will release quite a bit of liquid as it browns so drain it into a sieve, then tip it back in the saucepan.
3. Add the onion and oil to the pan and stir well, then add the garlic, salt, paprika, tomato purée, ketchup and chutney and season with salt and pepper to taste.
4. Crumble the stock cube into the pan and add the tomatoes and 120ml of water - you can use the water to rinse out the cans if you like so you don't have any waste.
5. Cook the sauce for about 20 minutes, then add the oregano.
6. Meanwhile cook the pasta in boiling salted water.
7. Drain the pasta and serve it with the sauce.
Recipe by .
Spag-bol is just right for a small family gathering, rather than a party. You'd need a pan the size of a bath to cook pasta for a big bunch of people.